Subject: Re: Linux support for RDMA (was: [Ksummit-2005-discuss] Summary of 2005 Kernel Summit Proposed Topics)

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 22:02:16 -0800

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 09:27:38PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 08:37:13PM -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
> > 
> > Several RNIC adapter vendors, who contribute to the 
> > openRDMA effort, are quite willing to opensource 
> > their drivers through openRDMA project.
> 
> "Several"?  Why not all?
> 
> And why the dual license?  What good is writing Linux kernel code that
> is BSD licensed for such a core component?  Didn't you all learn from
> the openib licensing mess?

Oh, and for those of you who might not know what mess I am talking
about:

The openib code was set up to be dual GPL and BSD licensed for the
express purpose of taking the openib code and placing it into a closed
source operating system (not any of the *BSDs).  Needless to say, this
has prevented me from doing any openib work, and probably the same for a
number of other Linux kernel developers.

If you all wish to duplicate this stupidity, feel free, but do not
expect to get any help from the community...

thanks,

greg k-h