Subject: Re: [Orinoco-devel] [2.6 patch] drivers/net/wireless/orinoco.h: "extern inline" -> "static inline"

From: Adrian Bunk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 05:00:09 +0100

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 02:52:36PM +1100, David Gibson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 04:33:29AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > "extern inline" doesn't make much sense.
> 
> Yes it does.  "extern inline" tells gcc not to fall back to out of
> line version if it can't inline the function.  These functions *must*
> by inlined, or they'll break horribly on Sparc, at least.
>...

For any non-ancient gcc and !alpha, we are already telling gcc via 
__attribute__((always_inline)) that it should abort compilation if it 
can't inline the function.

The problem is that "extern inline" gives warnings with 
-Wmissing-prototypes, and I want to add this flag to the CFLAGS since it 
helps us to avoid a class of nasty runtime errors.

> David Gibson

cu
Adrian

-- 

       "Is there not promise of rain?" Ling Tan asked suddenly out
        of the darkness. There had been need of rain for many days.
       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed