Subject: Re: Broadcom 43xx first results

From: Pavel Machek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 16:04:16 +0100

Hi!

> > Please stop beeing a freaking jackass.  There are various projects using
> > the current code.  It's not perfect but people are working on it.
> 
> Yes, and everyone implements his own softmac (this is the third one I
> know about). I tried to put all of these efforts together (google
> through the netdev archives) and wrote many patches.

Well, unfortunately people seem to disagree about "what the right
softmac is". And James's code is in kernel, thats _huge_ advantage.

> > And please stop your stupid devicespace advertisements.  If you think the
> > code is so useful why don't you send patches to integrate it with the
> > currently existing wireless code (after cleaning up the horrible mess
> > it is currently)?
> 
> This is what I'm doing last two months. But it's not so easy to clean it
> up and it seems that nobody else is interested. But it has all of the
> features you need (except active scanning) - this is the reason I
> stopped to work on improving current in-kernel 802.11 code and focused
> on Devicescape's code. It is several years beyond the state that current
> code is at now. And it is not an advertisement, it is a fact.

Another fact is that it is not in kernel, and by the time you get it
cleaned up, in-kernel code will probably get advanced enough that your
code will not be merged.

If devicescape is really so much better, submit it _now_. It may be
slightly buggy, but so is probably current code. 

-- 
Thanks, Sharp!