Subject: wireless: recap of current issues (intro)

From: "John W. Linville" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:26:08 -0500

My original post got eaten by the lists -- probably too big...

I'm reposting in sections.  After this intro follow sections on
Configuration, Compatibility, Stack, Other Issues, and Actions.
Enjoy! :-)

---

WiFi-ers...

Here I am, still feeling "up to the challenge"...  I have stopped
hyper-ventilating and the nervous vomiting is all over... :-)

Having accepted the wireless role, I wanted to review the discussions
prompted by Jeff's "State of the Union" message from a little over a
week ago.  There is lots of good talent involved in these discussions,
and I believe a surprisingly high level of agreement (some of it
nearly violent!) amongst the players.

Below I have recapped what I saw as most of the important issues.
I have endorsed some of the ideas, mostly those which seem to have
broad agreement.  I have also thrown-out a few ideas of my own.
Please do comment on all of them, as neither my summaries nor my
original ideas are likely to be without fault. :-)

I have primarily grouped the issues into configuration, compatibility,
and stack concerns.  I also included an "other" group for a few other
concerns that I though were worth mentioning.

Finally, I have included an "actions" section to reveal some of my
near-term plans and some of what I am thinking about beyond that.
I would love to hear any comments you might have on these items
as well.

Thanks for taking the time to look this over.  Creating this recap
has reinforced one thing: this is far too big for just a single person
(or even a small group) to tackle alone!

Thanks,

John
-- 
John W. Linville
[email-masked]