Subject: Re: wireless: recap of current issues (other issues)

From: "John W. Linville" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:54:45 -0500

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 05:09:23PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> John W. Linville wrote:
> >Other Issues
> >============
> 
> A big open issue:  should you fake ethernet, or represent 802.11 
> natively throughout the rest of the net stack?
> 
> The former causes various and sundry hacks, and the latter requires that 
> you touch a bunch of non-802.11 code to make it aware of a new frame class.

I had this entry in the "compatibility" section:

We need to be an 802.11 stack (i.e. drivers need to handle 802.11
frames).  Ethernet emulation is bound to paint us into a corner
eventually (if it hasn't already)

My opinion is that we need to 'bite the bullet' and make the kernel
aware of 802.11.  I figure we can leverage some existing work by
davem and acme for this.

John
-- 
John W. Linville
[email-masked]