Subject: Re: wireless: recap of current issues (configuration)

From: Stuffed Crust <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:58:59 -0500

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:14:08PM -0800, Sam Leffler wrote:
> Please read what I wrote again.  Station mode power save work involves 
> communicating with the ap and managing the hardware.  The first 
> interacts with bg scanning.  We haven't even talked about how to handle 
> sta mode power save.

I think we're arguing over semantics; what's important here is that the
STA tells the AP to buffer frames while we're performing a scan,
correct?
 
> If you wait until the end of the scan to return to the bss channel then 
> you potentially miss buffered mcast frames.  You can up the station's 
> listen interval but that only gets you so far.  As I said there are 
> tradeoffs in doing this.

An excellent point.  This is particularly relevant for APs that have a
DTIM interval of 1 -- if you're doing a passive scan, the dwell time on
that other channel (you need at least one beacon interval) could cause
you to miss bufferend MCAST frames.

In all fairness I don't think I've seen any implementations that handle
this cleanly.

 - Solomon
-- 
Solomon Peachy        				 ICQ: 1318344
Melbourne, FL 					 
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.