Subject: Re: [RFC] [PATCH 1/2] Driver to remember ethernet MAC values: maclist

From: Alessandro Zummo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:22:58 +0100

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:02:03 +0000
Russell King <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >  for this driver which we are working on.. for example,
> >  some Cirrus Logic ARM based chips (ep93xx) have an ethernet device
> >  that could benefit from that.
> 
> An alternative solution (suggested in the past) would be to have a
> generic kernel command line option such as: mac=<netdev>,<macaddr>
> 
> It nicely solves the "no mac address" issue in a lot (if not all)
> of the cases.

 That would help, but it can't easily be implemented when you are
 targeting consumer devices like nas, routers et al which already
 have been widely deployed.

 I know that the solution would be to fix the bootloader, but
 Joe Average is a little bit scared of reflashing it.

 A maclist-alike system could help to solve that situation.

-- 

 Best regards,

 Alessandro Zummo,
  Tower Technologies - Turin, Italy

  http://www.towertech.it