Subject: Re: SIOCGIWSCAN wireless event behaviour

From: "Jouni Malinen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:26:43 -0700

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 09:43:54AM -0700, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> 	After we changed to behaviour of ipw, various users reported
> that wpa_supplicant was confused. I particularly trust the report of
> Bill Moss, who has been hacking ipw for a long time :
> 
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=10091113&forum_id=38938

Hmm.. Can someone please describe what was changed? Just sending
SIOCGIWSCAN events more frequently? I have not seen any problems with
this in my tests (though, mainly with madwifi-ng). Is the broken case
available in one of the kernel trees? 2.6.16? wireless-2.6? (i.e., where
can I get the exact version of ipw2200 driver that is expected to show
incorrect behavior)?

> 	Jouni was notified, but did not really answer to that bug report.
> 	Then, the ipw maintainers commited the following patch to ipw
> that fix or workaround that issue :
> 
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-netdev&m=114492056522667&w=2

Hmm.. I don't remember having seen that report from Bill Moss.. How was
I notified? ;-) The patch here seems to be moving ipw_disassociate()
call, so it is not obviously clear from that what the impact on behavior
is. I can try to reproduce this, but I would like to know what version
to test with in order to avoid any possible workarounds from hiding the
issue.

-- 
Jouni Malinen                                            PGP id EFC895FA