Subject: Re: [RFC] Geographical/regulatory information for ieee80211

From: Harald Welte <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 08:17:28 -0300

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 07:54:31PM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> I am leaning toward putting the geographical information into a
> userland daemon. 

I like that idea very much.  This is all control metadate that doesn't
really need to be in the kernel.

> That way we won't have to patch the kernel every time a country
> modifies its regulations. 

that's another advantage.

> In addition, the kernel will be smaller. The downside is that the
> daemon will have to be updated and supplied in some convenient form,
> perhaps as part of a wireless tools package.

Ideally the daemon would get the table of country restrictions from a
policy file (some human-readable ascii?).  That file can then be
downloaded by a cronjob to keep it updated, if desired.  A bit like the
PCI/USB device id databases...

-- 
- Harald Welte <[email-masked]>          	        http://gnumonks.org/
============================================================================
"Privacy in residential applications is a desirable marketing option."
                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)