Subject: VLAN subinterfaces, bridges and udev

From: [email-masked] (Marco d'Itri)
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:29:29 +0200

[Please Cc me, I am not subscribed to netdev.]

Can I rely on the presence of the $DEVPATH/driver symlink (e.g.
/sys/class/net/eth0/driver) to check if a network interface is a "real"
device insteaf of a VLAN or a bridge?

----- Forwarded message from Marco d'Itri <[email-masked]> -----

To: [email-masked]
Subject: VLAN subinterfaces
From: Marco d'Itri <[email-masked]>

I wrote a script to handle persistent rules for network interfaces, but
I noticed that VLAN subinterfaces have the same MAC address of the
parent interface and I could not find in sysfs anything evident which I
could use in a rule. The only difference I noticed is that the VLAN
subinterfaces lack the device and drivers symlinks.
This problem affects anybody using VLANs, is there a good solution?

-- 
ciao,
Marco

----- End forwarded message -----
----- Forwarded message from Marco d'Itri <[email-masked]> -----

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: VLAN subinterfaces
From: Marco d'Itri <[email-masked]>

On Apr 23, Marco d'Itri <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I wrote a script to handle persistent rules for network interfaces, but
> I noticed that VLAN subinterfaces have the same MAC address of the
> parent interface and I could not find in sysfs anything evident which I
> could use in a rule. The only difference I noticed is that the VLAN
> subinterfaces lack the device and drivers symlinks.
> This problem affects anybody using VLANs, is there a good solution?
Another user (Debian bug #365248) reported that this applies to bridges
too. Is adding DRIVER=="?*" to the rules the correct workaround?

-- 
ciao,
Marco

-------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Linux-hotplug-devel mailing list  http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net
[email-masked]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/linux-hotplug-devel

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
ciao,
Marco