Subject: Re: [PATCH wireless-dev] d80211: Add support for user space client MLME

From: "Jouni Malinen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 09:44:23 -0700

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 11:00:28AM +0200, Jiri Benc wrote:

> Ok. So what about PRISM2_HOSTAPD_MGMT_IF ioctl that will add management
> interface (if not added yet) and return its ifindex? It would accept a
> boolean parameter (like PRISM2_PARAM_HOSTAPD) to add/remove that
> interface. If you agree with this, I will make a patch.

Yes, that would be fine.

> Of course, both hostapd and wpa_supplicant needs to be changed for that.
> This should not be a problem now as the d80211 stack is not in a common
> use yet.

Sure, no problems with that at the moment.

> So wpa_supplicant needs to know if the card is softmac or fullmac and
> behave accordingly, right?

Yes. Currently, I'm just using a configuration file parameter for this,
but this information should eventually be exported by the kernel code to
allow wpa_supplicant to select which mode to use without requiring user
configuration.

-- 
Jouni Malinen                                            PGP id EFC895FA