Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] FLAME: external kernel module for L2.5 meshing

From: Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 09:43:24 -0700

On Tue, 23 May 2006 16:07:47 +0200
Herman Elfrink <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  
> FLAME stands for "Forwarding Layer for Meshing"
> 
> FLAME provides an intermediate layer between the network layer (e.g. 
> IPv4/IPv6) and the link (MAC) layer, providing L2.5 meshing. Both 
> network layer and MAC layer can be used unchanged: to the network layer 
> FLAME appears as a normal Ethernet-type MAC layer, and the underlying 
> `real' MAC layer will see it as just another type of network layer.
> 

Didn't you just reinvent 802.1d bridging? and/or WDS?

As far as the Ethernet protocol field. Getting a real assigned number
would have to come out of the IEEE 802. 

You would need
	http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/ethertype/forms/index.html

It is cheaper (free vs $2500) to get a LLC sap assigned, but then
you would have to change the protocol.
	http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/llc/index.html