Subject: Re: Refactor Netlink connector?

From: Evgeniy Polyakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 23:09:06 +0400

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 02:58:11PM -0400, James Morris ([email-masked]) wrote:
> > Apache still can setup routes using ioctl or execve("ip route add/route
> > add");
> 
> Depends on the policy.  You can specify which types of files/sockets 
> apache can perform ioctl on, and whether it can execve 'ip', and if so, 
> which security context that runs in, and then whether that security 
> context can add routes.

With applications like phpmmyadmin apache must be allowed to perform such
operations no matter hacked it is or not...

> Security in SELinux is not based on the name of the application, it's 
> based on the security label bound to the binary being executed.

I know how selinux works.
I see your point, selinux is supposed to control each datflow even if it
sometimes is not that good idea.

> > Anyway you can easily add lsm hook into both sending/receiving pathes in
> > connector code, it fully controls the traffic before it reached socket
> > queue or user's callback.
> 
> There are already LSM hooks which allow this, it's a matter of not wanting 
> to have to parse arbitrarily implemented Netlink protocols to determine 
> what the messages are.

I mean you can control messages based on cn_mcg->id structure, since
cn_msg is a header for all connector messages.
 
> - James
> -- 
> James Morris
> <[email-masked]>

-- 
	Evgeniy Polyakov