Subject: Re: [PATCH] hush noisy ieee80211 CCMP printks

From: Jason Lunz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 12:03:35 -0400

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 06:31:48AM -0700, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> These are not normal, i.e., they should not really show up unless
> something goes wrong.

If these are a real problem, I'll gladly help debug it. I'm using
2.6.17-rc5's bcm43xx and the in-kernel ieee80211 softmac stack. I'm
using wpa/ccmp/aes with an openwrt AP.

> In many cases, this may be caused by something missing in local
> filtering (e.g., retry duplicates are not filtered out correctly or
> messages to incorrect addresses are allowed through, etc.).

Is it the driver's responsibility to do this filtering, or the softmac
stack's? Can you show me a code example where this filtering is done
properly?

> In other cases, it can indicate incorrect implementation of rekeying or
> some other bugs in either end of the connection.

I can try different implementations of WPA in the AP if necessary. I
think openwrt has other options. My end is in-kernel ieee80211_softmac -
is there anything you'd like me to look at there?

> Anyway, I don't have anything against removing the messages in default
> kernel builds. If there is a suitable build time debug option, that
> might be nicer way of doing this, though, since these can provide
> valuable information when figuring out why something does not work.

If the messages are actually useful, and unusual, then they should
probably stay. But I get a LOT of them, and my wireless is working just
fine.

I noticed that there are counters being incremented where those printks
are. How do I see those counters from userspace?

Jason