Subject: Re: Using netconsole for debugging suspend/resume

From: Andi Kleen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 07:50:25 +0200

On Friday 09 June 2006 07:23, David Miller wrote:
> From: Auke Kok <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:13:48 -0700
> 
> > netconsole should retry. There is no timeout programmed here since that might
> > lose important information, and you rather want netconsole to survive an odd
> > unplugged cable then to lose vital debugging information when the system is
> > busy for instance. (losing link will cause the interface to be down and thus
> > the queue to be stopped)
> 
> I completely disagree that netpoll should loop when the ethernet
> cable is plugged out. 

Currently it is a bit dumb and doesn't distingush the various cases
well.

I submitted a patch to loop to be a bit more clever at some point. It can be still
found in the netdev archives.

-Andi