Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 1/2] in-kernel sockets API

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 04:54:23 -0600

Alan,

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Alan Cox wrote:

> It isn't "policy" its called copyright law.

I know that I said I'd shut up, but I missed in TRIPS where it said
that symbols must be EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL...  Could you point that out?
(Just kidding.)

> You don't seem to understand copyright law either. The GPL like all
> copyright licenses deals with the right to make copies and to create and
> control derivative works. It's not "defeated" by four lines of code.

The 3 or 4 lines of code that I wrote as an original expression before
the patch was submitted.

> Is that a confession ;)

No, just a declaration: the code in question was released under GPL
Version 2.

> Copyright is not about novelty, you have it confused with the
> theoretical (not actual) role of patents. Wrong kind of intellectual
> monopoly right.

Yes, perhaps I should have said "original" instead of "novel".  The patch
is not "original" as it was predated by equivalent (machine translatable)
original expressions.