Subject: Re: Streamline testing of 802.11 drivers

From: Ivo van Doorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 23:38:26 +0200

Hi,

> I've mentioned this to a few but here it is out to everyone. So as you
> know we have a lot of work ahead of us for linux wireless development.
> To help speed this up, we at Winlab, would like to start hosting a
> testbed for linux wireless development, open to the public. Short term
> goals would be to start off a couple of nodes for each driver
> currently under development like bcm43xx, zd1211, rt2x00, ipw3945,
> ipw2200 and the like, and a provide a set streamlined tests we can use
> to really put to test the drivers and stacks.

This would be really interesting. :)

> This wouldn't be easy if we didn't have infrastructure but we already
> do. Our grid consists of 400 nodes with 2 wireless cards each and 3
> ethernet ports (one for control) --
> http://orbit-lab.org/wiki/Tutorial/Testbed. 90% of our nodes use the
> atheros 5213 chipset and the rest ipw2200s. We'd like to expand this
> with the more wireless cards currently being worked on for linux.
> 
> Right now we have zome zd1211s so we'll start with that (I'll start
> working on a port to d80211) but will try to accomodate other nodes as
> we get more wireless cards. We will need some help too though, to
> streamline the testing. If you have ideas or would like to contribute
> please let me know. We can purchase wireless cards but if you already
> have reliable confirmed wireless cards which can be used for putting
> into the testbed let me know.

I'll discuss this in the rt2x00 team, and see if we can donate some
hardware.

Ivo