Subject: Re: [PATCH] tg3: add amd8131 to "write reorder" chipsets

From: "John W. Linville" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 16:16:58 -0400

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 12:51:35PM -0700, Michael Chan wrote:
> John W. Linville wrote:
> 
> > Add the AMD 8131 bridge to the list of chipsets that reorder writes.
> > 
> > Signed-off-by: John W. Linville <[email-masked]>
> 
> Hi John,
> 
> The latest tg3 driver in 2.6.18 has a recovery mechanism to detect
> and recover from this kind of reordering problem.  I suppose we can
> add this chipset now if we're reasonably sure that it is reordering
> MMIO.  But it will be nice to actually see the recovery mechanism in
> action catching this chipset.

Obviously it is between you and Dave to decide what is best.  We are
carrying this patch in RHEL4 at the moment, so I didn't want to hold
it back from upstream.  If you think you have a better solution then
"it's on you"... :-)

John
-- 
John W. Linville
[email-masked]