Subject: Re: Regarding offloading IPv6 addrconf and ndisc

From: Hugo Santos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:56:49 +0100

Hi,

> I'm interested in the approach. And I have a couple of comments.
> I think DAD and ND are time critical operations.
> Can the daemons process with confirming to the specs.

   My tests indicate that yes, even when considering mobility scenarios
 where expected times are reduced. There is always the possibility of
 giving the process a priority high enough to work as well as possible
 in most usages.

> even if it were swapped out?

   Depending on the implementation, you may lock all or part of the
 process address space so it doesn't get swapped out.

> Can we prevent the oom killer from killing the daemons?

   I don't think we can prevent it, but we may adjust it's score via
 /proc/pid/oom_adj as it's likeness of being killed being very reduced.

> Anyway, we have to consider Pros. and Cons of the approach.

   As long as there is no impact in the current functionality and the
 changes which are required from an architectual POV are acceptable by
 the main developers, i don't see anything against.

   Waiting for input,

   Hugo