Subject: Re: [PATCH] bcm43xx-d80211: Init, shutdown and restart fixes

From: "John W. Linville" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:44:45 -0400

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 05:30:25PM +0200, Michael Buesch wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 August 2006 17:23, Larry Finger wrote:
> > Michael Buesch wrote:

> > > This fixes various bugs in the init and shutdown code
> > > that would lead to lockups and crashes.
> > > This is best reproducable by receiving a timeout from
> > > the netdev watchdog.
> > 
> > Is a similar bug likely to be the cause of the netdev watchdog timeouts in 
> > bcm43xx-softmac? If so, will there be a patch for wireless-2.6?
> 
> I don't know why the _timeouts_ itself happen, but maybe the
> lockup and crash bugs are in bcm43xx-softmac, too.
> I think it should be actually trivial to port this to bcm43xx-softmac.
> Care to do this, Larry?

Actually, this leads to a bigger question.  I noticed Michael
pleading his support dilemma w.r.t. supporting both wireless-2.6
and wirless-dev.  I'm sure he now regrets the "stunt" of trying to
support both at the same time... :-)

Anyway, it would seem like many of these fixes would be readily ported
between the trees.  It seems like we need someone to take-on this
(admittedly thankless) maintainence task from now until the new stack
merges into wireless-2.6.

Larry, you seem like a great candidate for this role.  Are you
interested?  If not, is there someone else in the bcm43xx camp that
would oblige us?

Thanks in advance!

John

P.S.  FWIW, I definitely thank Michael for his work supporting both
stack to date.  I think the dscape stack would be much farther behind
w/o the users enabled by the bcm43xx-dscape driver.
-- 
John W. Linville
[email-masked]