Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/6]: powerpc/cell spidernet ethtool -i version number info.

From: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 00:56:34 +0200

On Saturday 19 August 2006 00:25, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> This patch adds version information as reported by 
> ethtool -i to the Spidernet driver.

Acked-by: Arnd Bergmann <[email-masked]>

except for

> @@ -2293,6 +2294,8 @@ static struct pci_driver spider_net_driv
>   */
>  static int __init spider_net_init(void)
>  {
> +       printk("spidernet Version %s.\n",VERSION);
> +

This printk is missing a level (KERN_INFO or similar). Moreover,
it is rather strange for a driver to print a message when no
device is actually used by it. I'd rather drop the version
printk completely, but I know that Jim has strong feelings about
what to do with version information. I suggest that if we decide
to keep something like that in the driver, it should be printed
in spider_net_probe().

	Arnd <><