Subject: Re: [PATCH 01/3] d80211: add support for SIOCSIWRATE, SIOCSIWTXPOW and SIOCSIWPOWER

From: "Jouni Malinen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:37:49 -0700

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 05:30:22PM -0700, Mohamed Abbas wrote:

> the attached patch will add support to handle these iw_handle 
> SIOC[S/G]IWRATE, SIOC[S/G]IWTXPOW and SIOC[S/G]IWPOWER.  It also  added 
> some changes in ieee80211_ioctl_giwrange function to report supported 
> channels and rates.  a call to ieee80211_hw_config is needed to infor 
> the low level driver about these changes, I guess we might need to add 
> flag to indicate which parameters was changed so the low level driver 
> does not need to make extra calls.

Could you please separate SIOCSIWRATE from the rest. I did not go
through the details yet, but I do not think the proposed change here
would match the the way rate control was designed in the Devicescape
stack and I would not like to see this getting in before more careful
review and explanation of how this is expected to work. The way I see
rate settings working is that the control would be applied to the rate
control algorithm and not to the list of rates itself.

-- 
Jouni Malinen                                            PGP id EFC895FA