Subject: [PATCH] natsemi: Messages being noisy

From: Ingo Oeser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:28:51 +0200

Hi there,

I  get the following message when trying to transfer big files 
(via FTP or SCP) since Linux 2.6.16.27. It didn't happen with Linux 2.6.13.4.

[702238.242237] eth1: increased tx threshold, txcfg 0xd0f01008.
[702238.242649] eth1: increased tx threshold, txcfg 0xd0f0100a.

What about putting this message at the message level "DEBUG"
or even under pr_debug()?

This NIC is just used for PPPoE in our setups.

The other message "tx underrun with maximum tx threshold"
is much more useful, since it indicates a real problem.

So I would suggest the following patch:

Signed-off-by: Ingo Oeser <[email-masked]>

--- linux-2.6.16.28/drivers/net/natsemi.c~	2006-08-25 22:51:14.000000000 +0200
+++ linux-2.6.16.28/drivers/net/natsemi.c	2006-09-13 15:26:24.995044665 +0200
@@ -2338,8 +2338,7 @@
 		if ((np->tx_config & TxDrthMask) < TX_DRTH_VAL_LIMIT) {
 			np->tx_config += TX_DRTH_VAL_INC;
 			if (netif_msg_tx_err(np))
-				printk(KERN_NOTICE
-					"%s: increased tx threshold, txcfg %#08x.\n",
+				pr_debug("%s: increased tx threshold, txcfg %#08x.\n",
 					dev->name, np->tx_config);
 		} else {
 			if (netif_msg_tx_err(np))