Subject: Re: [patch 5/5] d80211: allow wireless vlan interface to have sameMAC an AP interface

From: "Jouni Malinen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 14:38:07 -0700

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 11:32:08PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:

> Hm. Now I finally understand the vlan interface type. Neat. How do you
> bind stas to one vlan interface? Is it possible to do on the fly after
> EAP or similar?

Yes, I just merged in support for this (dynamic VLANs) into hostapd.
RADIUS Access-Accept is used select VLAN is being used and the STA is
bound at that point to another virtual interface, if needed.

> Anyway. Wouldn't it make more sense to not even allow setting a MAC
> address different from all AP interfaces, i.e. require that the VLAN
> interface have the same MAC as one of the AP interfaces that exist?

That would be fine, too, but maybe not necessary.

> And then there probably should be a check that prohibits binding a sta
> to a vlan interface that has a different MAC than the AP interface it
> is/was on... or something.

Well, that would probably be correct for most (all?) cases, but then
again, I would probably not bother with this level of validation in
kernel. Whatever is taking care of binding the STA in user space (e.g.,
hostapd) can do the validation.

-- 
Jouni Malinen                                            PGP id EFC895FA