Subject: Re: [patch 1/2]d80211: hardware TKIP support for ipw3945

From: David Kimdon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:29:31 -0700

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 02:40:28PM +0200, Jiri Benc wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 17:19:36 +0800, Hong Liu wrote:
> > --- a/include/net/d80211.h
> > +++ b/include/net/d80211.h
> > @@ -176,6 +176,7 @@ struct ieee80211_tx_control {
> >  			*/
> >  	int icv_len:8; /* Length of the ICV/MIC field in octets */
> >  	int iv_len:8; /* Length of the IV field in octets */
> > +	u8 rc4key[16]; /* generated RC4 key for hw TKIP */
> 
> I don't like extending ieee80211_tx_control by 16 more bytes. The
> driver is required to store a copy of each ieee80211_tx_control
> (because it's copied to ieee80211_tx_status). I don't have a better
> idea, though. Anybody?

We could be more selective about what the driver is required to return
in ieee80211_tx_status, the rc4key isn't particularily interesting to
ieee80211_tx_status().  I expect there are other uninteresting fields
(tx_rate, rts_cts_rate, come to mind, for example).  We could put the
fields we are interested in directly in ieee80211_tx_status, or have a
new structure rather than re-using ieee80211_tx_control inside
ieee80211_tx_status.

-David