Subject: Re: [RFC] [PATCH 0/3] Add Regulatory Domain support to d80211

From: "John W. Linville" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:03:10 -0400

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 01:33:32AM -0400, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On 10/23/06, Johannes Berg <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 18:41 -0400, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> >
> >> The current setup on d80211.h makes regulatory domains device
> >> specific. I believe this should be changed to be stack-specific --
> >> that is, all drivers adhere to the restrictions set by the stack's
> >> current regulatory domain.
> >
> >There should be a way to have a certain device restrict that even
> >further, if the driver wants to allow operation only in a domain that
> >the device has been certified for (because it may malfunction otherwise,
> >for example).
> 
> Sure good idea -- we can provide a device specific regulatory domain
> if necessary. We can easily introduce a device_regdomains linked list
> on the ieee80211_conf which if not empty the driver will use it, else
> the stack regdomain is used. The ieee80211_regdomains module already
> provides the interfaces for the manipulation of such list. Pretty easy
> fix, fortunately.

It might be nice if this could be a "logical AND" operation?  So if the
device was certified for X, Y, and Z and the current domain allows V,
W, and X then only X would be allowed.  Perhaps it is too complicated
to be worthwhile, but it seems doable and would be a nice flexibility.

John
-- 
John W. Linville
[email-masked]