Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/11] convert d80211 to a proper protocol

From: Ivo van Doorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 17:54:33 +0100

Hi,

> I figured I'd look how hard it actually was to convert d80211 to a
> proper protocol. And contrary to my own expectations I succeeded in
> doing that in just over a day. Just like 8021q, it has virtual devices.
> 
> The patchset is huge and can be found at
> http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/files/d80211-proto/

I have a question regarding the enabling and disabling the radio
in this new layout.
Previously the open() and stop() methods in ieee80211_hw had been
deprecated and the driver should enable or disable the radio
based on the add_interface and remove_interface() functions.

Now that the driver should provide open() and stop() for the netdevice
structure does this mean that these 2 methods are back in control
for enabling and disabling the radio? And if so what should the
add_interface and remove_interface, should they be only in charge of
triggering some configuration changes (like mode and mac address)?

Ivo