Subject: Re: [PATCH] spidernet: fix transmit routine.

From: Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:30:50 -0800

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:10:25 -0600
James K Lewis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen,
> 
>   I had already tried that previously, the fail still occurred. Note that 
> the skb_pad (or skb_padto) never actually fails. There is just something 
> about calling it that causes the hang. Note too that I believe your patch 
> is incorrect, you would still have to pci_unmap_single the correct length 
> (skb_pad does not actually change skb->len which just seems plain wrong to 
> me).

Yeah, that was a bad choice not to set skb->len to start with. Too late
now given how it might affect other drivers.

>   I checked, and none of our "mainstream" PPC ethernet drivers (e100, 
> e1000, pcnet32, tg3) have this check in them. When I have time I may add 
> the pad to pcnet32 (for example) to see if it fails.

The hardware for all these drivers does padding.

> Jim Lewis
> Advisory Software Engineer
> IBM Linux Technology Center
> 512-838-7754
> 
>