Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: SFLC helps developers assess ar5k (enabling free Atheros HAL)

From: "John W. Linville" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:21:05 -0500

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 07:42:14PM +0100, Michael Buesch wrote:

> Now that it seems to be ok to use these openbsd sources, should I port
> them to my driver framework?
> I looked over the ar5k code and, well, I don't like it. ;)
> I don't really like having a HAL. I'd rather prefer a "real" driver
> without that HAL obfuscation.

I don't think anyone likes the HAL-based architecture.  I don't think
we will accept a HAL-based driver into the upstream kernel.

The point is that the ar5k is now safe to be used as a reference and
source of information (and code, as appropriate) without copyright FUD.
Distilling that information into a proper Linux driver is work that
remains to be done.

John
-- 
John W. Linville
[email-masked]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV