Subject: Re: [patch] Performance enhancement patches for SB1250 MAC

From: Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:35:48 -0800

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:40:01 -0800
"Yang, Steve" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen,
> 
> Sorry for responding late. 
> 
> 1. I've submitted two patches, one for NAPI and the other for SKB_Cache.
> They can go in individually. You've expressed objections to SKB_Cache.
> What about the one for NAPI?

Yes, the NAPI one is great.

> 
> 2. As for SKB_Cache patch, your concern about "maintenance" is valid.
> However, the cost for allocating skb is not trivial for performance,
> hence the patch. This is backed up by performance data measured. 20%
> difference is a conservative number here.
> 

I am not the final decider on this. Ask Jeff/David? Maybe there is some
more general work that can be done to speed up skb allocation.

-- 
Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>