Subject: Re: [RFC][GENETLINK] introduce command names

From: Thomas Graf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 10:28:57 +0100

* jamal <[email-masked]> 2006-12-02 07:11
> [GENETLINK] introduce command names
> 
> Introduce optional command names.
> While command names can be put in user space by the author of the
> command, this alleviates things for the discovery process without
> requiring any user space code written.
> In a recent tutorial that i gave, the desire for this feature was
> the highest.

I assume you're planning to export this to userspace at some point?
What's the real advantage besides that when listing avaiable
operations we can output names instead of numbers? Userspace should
be aware of operation numbers when using it. I'm all for this if
the direction is to move towards having some form of scriptable
genetlink tool which can be used to communicate with simple genetlink
families.

I guess the desire was the highest because you sold it as such :-)