Subject: Re: Please make CONFIG_CFG80211 harder to enable

From: "John W. Linville" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 11:06:46 -0500

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 03:48:43AM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hello!
> 
> Somebody please mark CONFIG_CFG80211 in wireless-dev.git as
> experimental/broken/incomplete/whatever.  Not only doesn't it work, but
> it also breaks Wireless Extensions if enabled, even if CONFIG_D80211 is
> disabled.
> 
> Driver developers should know that if they enable CONFIG_CFG80211 they
> won't be able to debug their drivers effectifely; they'll have to fix
> cfg80211 first.

Perhaps you could be more specific?  I'm sending this to you from a
box booted on the current (~1 week old) wireless-dev kernel using a
WEXT-configured ipw2200 device.

What problems are you experiencing?  CFG80211 shouldn't interfere w/
WEXT if a driver doesn't support it.

John
-- 
John W. Linville
[email-masked]