Subject: Re: [2.6 patch] drivers/net/loopback.c: convert to module_init()

From: Adrian Bunk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 00:31:28 +0100

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 12:18:48AM +0100, Thomas Graf wrote:
> * Adrian Bunk <[email-masked]> 2006-12-14 00:12
> > On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 03:01:43PM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > > Loopback should be there before protocols are started. It makes sense
> > > to have a standard startup order.
> > 
> > This actually becomes easier after my patch:
> > 
> > Now that it's untangled from net_olddevs_init(), you can simply change 
> > the module_init(loopback_init) to a different initcall level.
> 
> Not really, the device management inits as subsys, the ip layer hooks
> into fs_initcall() which comes right after. The loopback was actually
> registered after the protocol so far. I think Adrian's patch is fine
> if the module_init() is changed to device_initcall().

It doesn't matter (and I don't care) since for the non-modular case 
(that always applies for loopback), there's:
  #define __initcall(fn) device_initcall(fn)
  #define module_init(x)  __initcall(x);

cu
Adrian

-- 

       "Is there not promise of rain?" Ling Tan asked suddenly out
        of the darkness. There had been need of rain for many days.
       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed