Subject: Re: 2.6.19.2 sky2/acpi crashes

From: Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:44:08 -0800

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:59:28 +0100
Lionel Landwerlin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> I'm running a macbook with a Marvell ethernet controller, and I have a
> lots of freezes when using the ethernet controller under a load of
> ~100K/s. Since I'm running a 2.6.19.2 kernel, I'm able to get some
> report from the kernel. Here they are :

Please send sky2 bugs to me <[email-masked]> and 
[email-masked].

> I hope some fix could be released soon.

I get problem reports all the time, unfortunately, so far these have
not been reproducible on the configurations and hardware I have. I am
not denying there is a problem, but if I can't reproduce it, it takes
a long time to fix.

Your problem seems to be missed/lost interrupts. If you display
the contents of /proc/interrupts (ie cat /proc/interrupts), it
will show whether level (good), edge (bad) or MSI (good if hw works)
are being used.

Some workaround related things to try are:

1) Adding the module parameter "idle_timeout=10" will cause
the driver to poll for status every 10ms. This is obviously a performance
overhead but it can allow system to function.

2) Disabling MSI with either "pci=nomsi" on boot cmdline or by using
module parameter "disable_msi=1".  Message Signaled Interrupts are good,
but it seems some chipsets don't work right.

-- 
Stephen Hemminger <[email-masked]>