Subject: Re: Extensible hashing and RCU

From: Evgeniy Polyakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:56:08 +0300

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 12:09:59PM -0800, Michael K. Edwards ([email-masked]) wrote:
> On 2/20/07, Michael K. Edwards <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >Correct.  That's called a "weak hash", and Jenkins is known to be a
> >thoroughly weak hash.  That's why you never, ever use it without a
> >salt, and you don't let an attacker inspect the hash output either.
> 
> Weak in a cryptographic sense, of course.  Excellent avalanche
> behavior, though, which is what you care about in a salted hash.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_table

I repeat again - add your salt into jenkins hash and I will show you
that it has the same problems.
So, I'm waiting for your patch for jhash_*_words().

> I know nothing about data structures and algorithms except what I read
> on the Internet.  But you'd be amazed what's on the Internet.
> 
> Cheers,
> - Michael

-- 
	Evgeniy Polyakov