Subject: Re: L2TP support?

From: Ingo Oeser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:33:33 +0100

Hi James,

James Chapman schrieb:
> Is there interest in adding L2TP support?

Yes, if there is also a user space part somewhere.
 
> I have a patch which could be submitted for review. The PPPoL2TP driver
> presents a PPPoX socket to userspace pppd in the same way as the PPPoE
> and PPPoATM drivers. The kernel handles all data traffic, while
> userspace daemons do L2TP and PPP control message processing.

Like the pppoe-plugin for pppd? 

> In that thread, I was asked to improve the scalability of my solution by
> avoiding the socket-per-session usage imposed by the PPPoX model. 

Since that is imposed by your generic upper layer (PPPoX) this is no valid
argument against your code. (Yes, I've read that thread :-))

> Shall I post the patch?

Yes, please check your patch using the nice checklist in 
Documentation/SubmitChecklist and do it in suitable chunks 
according to Documentation/SubmittingPatches

I'm looking forward to review it!

Best Regards

Ingo Oeser