Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/7] [IrDA] IrDA monitor mode

From: Samuel Ortiz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 14:42:40 +0300

Hi Dave,

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 10:11:43PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 00:32:07 +0300
> 
> > Through a protocol specific ioctl, one can disable IrDA TX in order to
> > monitor an IrDA link.
> > 
> > Signed-off-by: Samuel Ortiz <[email-masked]>
> 
> I'd really rather see IRDA use netlink instead of these
> wonky ioctls, but whatever, if you want to put this dirty
> into your stack and you're the maintainer I can't really
> stop you :-)
I actually asked for your advice about it some time ago:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=117590341703544&w=2
But by looking at the flow of emails on netdev sent to you (and that's only
netdev...), I can easily see how you could have missed it :-)

Regarding this patch, I came up with this ioctl because I thought
implementing an IrDA netlink layer would be an overkill for just one single
command.
What I propose is that you revert this patch before we introduce a new ioctl
upstream while I start implementing a netlink IrDA layer. Would that be ok
with you, or can we let this new ioctl in and have it coexisting with a future
netlink layer ?

Cheers,
Samuel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by DB2 Express
Download DB2 Express C - the FREE version of DB2 express and take
control of your XML. No limits. Just data. Click to get it now.
http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/