Subject: Re: [stable] 2.6.21 known regressions (v2) (for -stable team)

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 18:25:08 -0700

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 11:21:54PM +0200, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> Greg KH <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> Also, assignation of ttyUSB#'s is volatile depending on phase of the
> >> moon when booted.
> >
> > That's always been the case, ever since the 2.2 kernel releases.  Please
> > use udev if you want persistent device names for your tty USB devices.
> 
> I don't know how udev (or anything) could help here. AFAIK the
> converters have no serial numbers and no other means to
> differentiate.

Some do have serial numbers, and others do not.  You can also use hints
on which port they are plugged into, which is usually the best way to
name these types of things persistently.

thanks,

greg k-h