Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/6] [IPV4] SNMP: Display new statistics at /proc/net/snmp

From: Mitsuru Chinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 20:29:05 +0900

On Thu, 03 May 2007 03:15:46 -0700 (PDT)
David Miller <[email-masked]> wrote:

> From: Mitsuru Chinen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 10:05:13 +0900
> 
> > [IPV4] SNMP: Display new statistics at /proc/net/netstat
> > 
> > This displays the statistics specified in the updated IP-MIB RFC
> > (RFC4293) in /proc/net/netstat. The reason why these are not added
> > to /proc/net/snmp is that some existing utilities are developed under
> > the assumption that ipstat items in /proc/net/snmp is unchanged.
> > 
> > Signed-off-by: Mitsuru Chinen <[email-masked]>
> 
> Magic constant "17" is not the best, somebody will break this
> next time this table it touched.
> 
> Why not use another sentinel, or something like that, to mark
> the entry groups?

Excuse me, but I can't catch why this magic constant is not good.
When we don't increase the number of entries in /proc/net/snmp,
I think the start number of new entries which is displayed in
/proc/net/netstat would be fixed value.

I came up with an idea in order to reduce the patch size.
But it still has a magic constant which points to the start of
new entries. If such a magic constant is not acceptable, I will
create another patch based on this. It will skip the exiting
entry by for() loop:

| @@ -348,11 +348,13 @@ static int netstat_seq_show(struct seq_f
|                                            snmp4_net_list[i].entry));
|  
|         seq_puts(seq, "\nIpExt:");
| -       for (i = IPSTATS_RFC4293_START; snmp4_ipstats_list[i].name != NULL; i++)
| +       for (i = 0; snmp4_ipstats_list[i].name != NULL; i++);
| +       for (i++; snmp4_ipstats_list[i].name != NULL; i++)
|                 seq_printf(seq, " %s", snmp4_ipstats_list[i].name);

I think it will cost a bit. Is it acceptable?

[IPV4] SNMP: Display new statistics at /proc/net/netstat

This displays the statistics specified in the updated IP-MIB RFC
(RFC4293) in /proc/net/netstat. The reason why these are not displayed
in /proc/net/snmp is some existing utilities are developed under the
assumption that ipstat items in /proc/net/snmp is unchanged.

Signed-off-by: Mitsuru Chinen <[email-masked]>

---

 net/ipv4/proc.c |   19 +++++++++++++++++++
 1 files changed, 19 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)

bbc05691d2dbd8bce7d6b5ae1c0ba0074ecef5e4
diff --git a/net/ipv4/proc.c b/net/ipv4/proc.c
index 37ab580..11dfa96 100644
--- a/net/ipv4/proc.c
+++ b/net/ipv4/proc.c
@@ -88,6 +88,7 @@ static const struct file_operations sock
 };
 
 /* snmp items */
+#define IPSTATS_RFC4293_START 18
 static const struct snmp_mib snmp4_ipstats_list[] = {
 	SNMP_MIB_ITEM("InReceives", IPSTATS_MIB_INRECEIVES),
 	SNMP_MIB_ITEM("InHdrErrors", IPSTATS_MIB_INHDRERRORS),
@@ -106,6 +107,14 @@ static const struct snmp_mib snmp4_ipsta
 	SNMP_MIB_ITEM("FragOKs", IPSTATS_MIB_FRAGOKS),
 	SNMP_MIB_ITEM("FragFails", IPSTATS_MIB_FRAGFAILS),
 	SNMP_MIB_ITEM("FragCreates", IPSTATS_MIB_FRAGCREATES),
+	SNMP_MIB_SENTINEL,
+	/* Following RFC4293 items are displayed in /proc/net/netstat */
+	SNMP_MIB_ITEM("InNoRoutes", IPSTATS_MIB_INNOROUTES),
+	SNMP_MIB_ITEM("InTruncatedPkts", IPSTATS_MIB_INTRUNCATEDPKTS),
+	SNMP_MIB_ITEM("InMcastPkts", IPSTATS_MIB_INMCASTPKTS),
+	SNMP_MIB_ITEM("OutMcastPkts", IPSTATS_MIB_OUTMCASTPKTS),
+	SNMP_MIB_ITEM("InBcastPkts", IPSTATS_MIB_INBCASTPKTS),
+	SNMP_MIB_ITEM("OutBcastPkts", IPSTATS_MIB_OUTBCASTPKTS),
 	SNMP_MIB_SENTINEL
 };
 
@@ -338,6 +347,16 @@ static int netstat_seq_show(struct seq_f
 			   snmp_fold_field((void **)net_statistics,
 					   snmp4_net_list[i].entry));
 
+	seq_puts(seq, "\nIpExt:");
+	for (i = IPSTATS_RFC4293_START; snmp4_ipstats_list[i].name != NULL; i++)
+		seq_printf(seq, " %s", snmp4_ipstats_list[i].name);
+
+	seq_puts(seq, "\nIpExt:");
+	for (i = IPSTATS_RFC4293_START; snmp4_ipstats_list[i].name != NULL; i++)
+		seq_printf(seq, " %lu",
+			   snmp_fold_field((void **)ip_statistics,
+					   snmp4_ipstats_list[i].entry));
+
 	seq_putc(seq, '\n');
 	return 0;
 }
-- 
1.3.3