Subject: Re: r8169: hard freezes on TX

From: Rolf Eike Beer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 08:48:25 +0200

Francois Romieu wrote:
> Rolf Eike Beer <[email-masked]> :
> [...]

Ok, just tested. I used a file of 200MB and copied it to another host on the 
LAN. If I used our 100 MBit switch nothing happened. When I put a 10 MBit hub 
in the middle it died at 77 MB.

> > I often see freezes when I do much outgoing transfer. I have never seen
> > this happening on incoming transfers. When this happens the system locks
> > up hard, I don't see anything in the log. Since this is my laptop I have
> > trouble debugging it: there is no serial console and debugging this via
> > netconsole doesn't look like a good idea.
>
> Keyboard leds are dead afterwards I guess, right ?

Yes.
> > When I say "much outgoing transfer" this means "several megabytes". If I
> > copy out 30 MB I almost everytime get this. I usually copy that much only
> > at home when I feed my gentoo server. That host only has a 10 MBit
> > connection. Nevertheless I've also seen that on different hosts using
> > different files on different protocols (ftp, scp, smb).
> >
> :o/
>
> So it can be reproduced with a simple ftp put of several megabytes of
> data completely cached in memory (no disk access) ?

I used scp, but: yes.

Eike