Subject: Re: [WIP][PATCHES] Network xmit batching

From: Evgeniy Polyakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:21:48 +0400

Hi.

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 07:43:49AM -0400, jamal ([email-masked]) wrote:
> Folks, we need help. Please run this on different hardware. Evgeniy, i
> thought this kind of stuff excites you, no? ;-> (wink, wink).
> Only the sender needs the patch but the receiver must be a more powerful
> machine (so that it is not the bottleneck).

I've ran several simple tests with desktop e1000 adapter I managed to
find.

Test machine is amd athlon64 3500+ with 1gb of ram.
Another point is dektop core duo 3.4 ghz with 2 gb of ram and sky2
driver.

Simple test included test -> desktop and vice versa traffic with 128 and
4096 block size in netperf-2.4.3 setup.

Test machine runs 2.6.22-rc5-batch and mainline tree (there is a test
with 2.6.22-rc4 and there is a noticeble performance win compared to
that tree in the latest git, likely tcp congestion changes resulted in
better utilisation). Batched xmit has better numbers.

Results:

2.6.20-ubuntu -> test machine

2.6.22-rc4-batch:
128: 725.43 724.14
4096: 698.63 712.77

2.6.22-rc5-mainline:
128: 760.91 762.04
4096: 784.32 788.53

2.6.22-rc5-batch:
128: 766.70
4096: 788.24

test machine -> 2.6.20-ubuntu

2.6.22-rc5-mainline:
128: 558.16 (Desired confidence was not achieved within the specified iterations.)
4096: 814.01

2.6.22-rc5-batch:
128: 569.14 (Desired confidence was not achieved within the specified iterations.)
4096: 822.72

-- 
	Evgeniy Polyakov