Subject: Re: [PATCH -mm 9/9] netconsole: Support dynamic reconfiguration using configfs

From: Joel Becker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 01:18:53 -0700

On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 01:18:45PM +0530, Satyam Sharma wrote:
> However, for items that are statically initialized (often the
> group->cg_item members of subsystems or default groups) we often simply
> set ci_namebuf and then call config_item_init() -- say via
> config_group_init(), like I've done with the netconsole subsystem in this
> patch -- but config_item_init() does not set ci_name for such items to
> ci_namebuf. This means the ci_name member of _initialized_ config_items
> with their names in ci_namebuf is left un-initialized (NULL, actually,
> because the subsys / default group would likely be static).

	Configfs notices subsystems and default groups and handles this.
See configfs_register_subsystem() and create_default_group() in
fs/configfs/dir.c

> Right. We shouldn't special case (at least not without adding a comment
> why that would be right) and we never know what might happen to the code
> at some later day. So let's keep the get() / put() pair.

	If you're keeping them, don't do the "empty_item", check the
name.
	Otherwise, the changes you describe sound good.

Joel

-- 

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
        - Mark Twain

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: (650) 506-8127