Subject: Re: bnx2 dirver's firmware images

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 23:30:25 +0200

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 12:21:50PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: "Michael Chan" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 13:05:51 -0700
> 
> > The bnx2 firmware changes quite frequently.  A new driver quite often
> > requires new firmware to work correctly.  Splitting them up makes things
> > difficult for the user.
> > 
> > The firmware in tg3 is a lot more mature and I don't expect it to
> > change.  I think tg3 is better suited for using request_firmware().
> 
> Like I said, I think neither should change and the driver should
> be fully functional when built statically into the kernel.

Michael, doesn't a functional-yet-suboptimal firmware exist ? I mean,
just the same principle as we all have kernels, boot CDs, statically
built tools, etc... which run everywhere. If you have such a beast,
maybe it would be a good start to have it in the kernel, and provide
the users with the ability to upgrade the firmware once the system
is able to do more complex things.

Just a thought...

Regards,
Willy