Subject: Re: [PATCH] tehuti: driver for Tehuti 10GbE network adapters

From: 'Christoph Hellwig' <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 16:52:58 +0100

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 12:44:33PM +0200, Alexander Indenbaum wrote:
> >  - please don't redefine the dma mask constants
> >  - please use the firmware loader instead of mebedding a firmware
> >    image
> 
> Could you give us some pointers to docs and examples of "firmware loader"?
> I'm not sure I'm familiar with such mechanism in Linux kernel.

Documentation/firmware_class/ in the kernel tree has the documentation
for it.  Grep the kernel tree for request_firmware to find various users.

> Putting dual-port issue aside, could you elaborate what is the problem in
> your opinion in bdx_remove() implementation? What is wrong with calling
> free_netdev() right after unregister_netdev()? Could you provide pointers
> for docs and examples to correct PCI network device remove interface
> implementation? 

free_netdev can only be called if you're sure you don't reference your
netdevice anymore.  Most notably that means you need to call free_irq
first.