Subject: wireless-dev dead, long live wireless-2.6

From: "John W. Linville" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 14:47:15 -0400

Greetings,

This message is perhaps a few days late -- better late than never. :-)

The big news is that wireless-dev is now dead, defunct, kaput.
Please discontinue any use of wireless-dev or any of its clones.
If you need access to the contents of that tree for historical
purposes, please see the snapshot in my wireless-legacy tree:

	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-legacy.git wireless-dev-2007-09-24

I will remove the wireless-dev repository from kernel.org shortly
after sending this message.  From now on, please use the 'everything'
branch of wireless-2.6 as the base for new wireless development.

	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-2.6.git everything

Please note that this branch is subject to rebasing.  In general
it will be rebased whenever Linus christens a new -rcX release,
sometimes more often than that.  "git rebase" and "git cherry-pick"
are your friends.

As always, patches based on a vanilla tree from Linus (or the
'master' branch of wireless-2.6) are acceptable or even preferable
for those patches which do not depend on other pathes already in the
wireless-2.6 tree.  Otherwise, base your patches on the 'everything'
branch as described above.

Most of the other branches in wireless-2.6 are only there for
administrative purposes.  You can and should ignore them, with possibly
a couple of exceptions.

One of two possible branches of interest to some is the
'mac80211-attic' branch.  This branch mostly contains patches
supporting hostap functionality for mac80211.  These patches will
not be merged as-is due to unsettled user interface issues.  I have
preserved them on this branch solely as a courtesy to those who need
this functionality.  I expect for this functionality to be replaced
RSN by work underway from Johannes Berg.

The other possible branch of interest is the 'mac80211-dungeon'
branch.  This branch contains several patches for 802.11n and other
advanced functionality (e.g.  DLS).  However, the mac80211 component
maintainers have strongly objected to these patches for a variety
of reasons.  The various parties are still working to resolve the
issues preventing these patches from being merged.  In the meantime
I have preserved these patches on this branch as a courtesy to those
who need them as well.

I hope this message clears-up some questions that people have been
expressing.  If there are other questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks!

John
-- 
John W. Linville
[email-masked]