Subject: Re: Please pull 'fixes-davem' branch of wireless-2.6

From: "John W. Linville" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:53:15 -0400

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 11:29:51PM -0400, Michael Wu wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 October 2007 22:31:46 John W. Linville wrote:
> > Bill Moss (1):
> >       mac80211: honor IW_SCAN_THIS_ESSID in siwscan ioctl
> >
> Where did this patch come from? The original patch looked nothing like this, 
> and this patch changes the behavior of siwscan incorrectly. If the interface 

"Nothing like this"?  I moved a conditional from inside a specific
case to outside the whole switch.  Let's not overstate things.

> is not STA, IBSS, or AP, scanning should not be permitted. This patch allows 
> scanning on any interface if a SSID is specified. NACK.

I refactored the patch in response to Johannes' email on 10/11 that
said "I think it should be done regardless of mode".

	http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=119209214914682&w=2

I seem to have botched the repost -- sorry about that.

Looking closer, it does seem like ieee80211_sta_req_scan may not be
robust enough to handle an inappropriate interface gracefully.  So,
let's add a patch that relocates the conditional after the switch,
and let the switch filter-out the bad interfaces for us.

Patch to follow (if I've figured-out git-send-email)...

John
-- 
John W. Linville
[email-masked]