Subject: Re: [PATCH] e1000, e1000e valid-addr fixes

From: Adrian Bunk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 03:15:35 +0200

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 08:55:29PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Actually, looking over the code I see obvious bugs in the logic:
>
> An invalid ethernet address should not cause device loading to fail, 
> because the user is given the opportunity to supply a MAC address via 
> userspace (ifconfig or whatever) before the interface goes up.
> 
> I just created the attached -bug fix- patch as illustration, though I have 
> not committed it, waiting for comment.
>...

Is there a good reason why we have such checks duplicated in the drivers 
(with every driver doing it differently...) instead of doing it in 
net/core/dev.c?

> 	Jeff

cu
Adrian

-- 

       "Is there not promise of rain?" Ling Tan asked suddenly out
        of the darkness. There had been need of rain for many days.
       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed