Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/5] introduce udp_rmem and udp_wmem

From: Bill Fink <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 00:52:48 -0400

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Hideo AOKI wrote:

> This patch added /proc/sys/net/udp_rmem and /proc/sys/net/udp_rmem.
> Each UDP packet is drooped when the number of pages for socket buffer
> is beyond the limit and the socket already consumes minimum buffer.

I think you meant /proc/sys/net/ipv4/udp_{r,w}mem above.

Patch not in-lined making replying more difficult.

Cutting and pasting:

> diff -pruN linux-2.6.24-rc1-mem003-ipv4-dev-p4/Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt linux-2.6.24-rc1-mem003-ipv4-dev-p5/Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt
> --- linux-2.6.24-rc1-mem003-ipv4-dev-p4/Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt	2007-10-26 20:35:52.000000000 -0400
> +++ linux-2.6.24-rc1-mem003-ipv4-dev-p5/Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt	2007-10-29 09:44:05.000000000 -0400
> @@ -452,6 +452,18 @@ udp_mem - INTEGER
>  	Number of pages allowed for queueing by all UDP sockets.
>  	Default is calculated at boot time from amount of available memory.
>  
> +udp_rmem - INTEGER
> +	Minimal size of receive buffer used by UDP sockets. Each UDP socket
> +	is able to use the size for receiving data, even if total pages of UDP
> +	sockets exceed udp_mem. The unit is byte.
> +	Default: 4096
> +
> +udp_wmem - INTEGER
> +	Minimal size of send buffer used by UDP sockets. Each UDP socket is
> +	able to use the size for sending data, even if total pages of UDP
> +	sockets exceed udp_mem. The unit is byte.
> +	Default: 4096
> +
>  CIPSOv4 Variables:
>  
>  cipso_cache_enable - BOOLEAN

I think either the above should be renamed to udp_{r,w}mem_min, or
they should be changed to a 3-tuple like tcp_{r,w}mem, and the code
refactored accordingly (but then what to do about
/proc/sys/net/core/{r,w}mem_max).

						-Bill