Subject: Re: bizarre network timing problem

From: Felix von Leitner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 23:38:56 +0100

Thus spake Rick Jones ([email-masked]):
> >Oh I'm pretty sure it's not my application, because my application performs
> >well over ethernet, which is after all its purpose.  Also I see the
> >write, the TCP uncork, then a pause, and then the packet leaving.
> Well, a wise old engineer tried to teach me that the proper spelling is 
> ass-u-me :) so just for grins, you might try the TCP_RR test anyway :)  And 
> even if your application is correct (although I wonder why the receiver 
> isn't sucking data-out very quickly...) if you can reproduce the problem 
> with netperf it will be easier for others to do so.

My application is only the server, the receiver is smbget from Samba, so
I don't feel responsible for it :-)

Still, when run over Ethernet, it works fine without waiting for
timeouts to expire.

To reproduce this:

  - smbget is from samba, you probably already have this
  - gatling (my server) can be gotten from
    cvs -d :pserver:[email-masked]:/cvs -z9 co dietlibc libowfat gatling

dietlibc is not strictly needed, but it's my environment.
First built dietlibc, then libowfat, then gatling.

Felix