Subject: Re: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

From: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 12:52:22 -0800

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:32:19 +0000 Russell King <[email-masked]> wrote:

> There's another issue I want to raise concerning bugzilla.  We have the
> classic case of "not enough people reading bugzilla bugs" - which is one
> of the biggest problems with bugzilla.  Virtually no one in the ARM
> community looks for ARM bugs in bugzilla.

Nor should they.

> Let's not forget that it would be a waste of time for people to manually
> check bugzilla for ARM bugs.  There's soo few people reporting ARM bugs
> into bugzilla that a weekly manual check by every maintainer would just
> return the same old boring results for months and months at a time.

I screen all bugzilla reports.  100% of them.

- I'll try to establish whether it is a regression

- I'll solicit any extra information which I believe the reveloper will need

- I'll ensure that an appropriate developer has seen the report

And yes, the number of arm-specific reports in there is very small.

> It would be far more productive if the ARM category was deleted from
> bugzilla and the few people who use bugzilla reported their bugs on the
> mailing list.  We've a couple of thousand people on the ARM kernel
> mailing list at the moment - that's 3 orders of magnitude more of eyes
> than look at bugzilla.

Is that [email-masked]?

If so, MANITAINERS claims that it is subscribers-only.  That would cause
some bug reporters to give up and go away.